We came across an extensive article in the Whole Building Design Guide entitled Window Film Fundamentals that discusses architectural window film uses and benefits. We wanted to summarize the findings of this article on how window films can benefit your home or commercial space.
Architectural Window Film Uses and Benefits
- Climate and Energy Cost Control – Window film significantly reduces solar heat gain through windows allowing a space to maintain its internal temperature and eliminating hot spots. Hot spots are temperature inconstancies between one part of a building and another and are relatively common. The energy savings also results in reduced HVAC equipment wear and maintenance.
- Furnishing Fade Mitigation – By blocking damaging ultraviolet rays streaming through the home or office windows, architectural window film protects valuable furnishings such as carpets, furniture, and artwork from fade damage.
- Reduce Irritating Glare – Annoying glare can also be controlled through the use of window film. Window films are a popular choice in many homes and office buildings where certain areas of the space are prone to strong glare from the sun making it uncomfortable to work or relax.
- Updated Building Aesthetics – Buildings with dated looking windows can benefit from window film. The installation of film is an inexpensive and easy way to improve the overall aesthetics of a building or residence.
- Enhanced Privacy Benefits
- Reduce unwanted attention: Window films can discourage loitering or peering into your windows, creating a more secluded feel, especially in densely populated areas.
- Enhance security perception: The added layer of window film can make it appear more difficult for someone to break in, potentially deterring break-ins.
- Create designated zones: In office spaces, window films can be used to section off conference rooms, private offices, or collaboration areas for more focused work environments.
- Cost-Effective Decorative and Branding Options – Decorative window films allow easy retrofit of existing glass with an array of patterns to compliment any décor. With decorative film the distinctive look of etched glass can be achieved at a fraction of the cost of actual etched glass. The designer films also allow private, interior glass spaces to be created while still welcoming in light.
- Upgrade Building Safety and Security – Safety and security window film products protect a building’s occupants from the hazards of flying glass by holding glass shards in place in the event of a window breaking, preventing serious injuries. They can also improve building safety by increasing the intrusion resistance of a glass door or window.
If you would like to read this article in its entirety, click HERE.
If you would like to get more information or if you have any questions regarding architectural window film uses and benefits, please click HERE. If you have questions about how window film can be implemented into your school, contact one of our Window Film Pros for answers to your questions and to schedule a free, no obligation on-site consultation and estimate.